Objectives of the project:
· The main objective of HardBlock project is to develop a blockchain technology able to reduce the scalability problems of public blockchains.
· The new concepts of Proofs of Physical Existence and Proofs of Physical Presence will be exploited to reduce the highly maintenance costs of Proofs of Work.
· New hardware elements will be designed and implemented to support the Proofs of Physical Existence, providing the unique identification of things and avoiding tampering and counterfeiting.
· New hardware elements will be designed and implemented to support the Proofs of Physical Presence using biometrics. The objective is the user authentication with the highest authentication level (AAL3 according to NIST SP 800-63): using a compact and tamper-resistant device, under the control of the user, and with template protection.
· HardBlock will provide secure key exchange without using trusted third parties and avoiding man-in-the-middle attacks, and will exploit the use of post-quantum algorithms mainly based on lattice cryptography.
· The project will explore new application fields such as the combination of Internet of Things (IoT) with blockchain technologies.